Dr. Edward L. Roberson
Dr. Edward L. Roberson was born in Tarboro in 1909 and earned his BS from Davidson College in 1930. He received his doctorate from the University of Maryland in 1934 and became an MD in 1936. Roberson served four years in the Navy during World War II before coming home to wed Mary Agnes Marks and live in the house where he was born. Considered “the dean of Edgecombe County physicians,” Dr. Ed served as president of the Tarboro Clinic, Chief of Staff of Edgecombe General Hospital and Chief of Surgery, Director of Edgecombe Bank & Trust Co. and Director of the Edgecombe County Board of Health. He is also remembered as Tarboro’s Mayor for 14 years (1961-1975) and for leading the area through the changes brought on by school desegregation and the civil rights movement. He met regularly with leaders of various factions to keep lines of communication open and encouraged free discussion of problems. Ed Roberson was honored by the Town of Tarboro in 1977 with the dedication of the Roberson Center for Senior Citizens.
Inducted into Hall of Fame 2008